SUFO-1 - 10,200 feet by NukeFrenzy, on Flickr

SUFO-1 - 18,500 feet by NukeFrenzy, on Flickr

SUFO-1 - 33,000 feet by NukeFrenzy, on Flickr

SUFO-1 - 75,000 feet by NukeFrenzy, on Flickr

SUFO-1 - 92,000 feet by NukeFrenzy, on Flickr

SUFO-1 - 76,000 feet by NukeFrenzy, on Flickr

SUFO-1 - Hanging Around by NukeFrenzy, on Flickr

SUFO-1 - Recovered by NukeFrenzy, on Flickr

The launch went very smoothly despite it being our first high altitude balloon flight. The only hiccup was a little rain that delayed the flight about an hour. I maintained contact with the capsule for the entire flight via the APRS.fi website. The balloon followed just north of a major highway for the entire flight, which allowed us to use our cellphones to stay on the APRS.fi website the whole time. It was much easier to use cellphones instead of the laptop inside a car, so the laptop was put away early.

The four of us stopped for lunch about halfway through the ascent and got back on the chase right around when the balloon burst. We quickly caught up to it as it neared its landing point, but we ran out of roads. Using the last known gps point we headed to the nearest house, asked for permission to explore the property, and headed into the woods. We were warned by the landowner that the terrain was pretty rough and we quickly found out we were a little unprepared. We attempted to make a straight shot to the capsule, which took us up and down many steep hills and thick brush. Using the iPhone Google Maps app was also not easy and its compass was terrible. After a few hours of hiking we decided to retreat, make a new plan, and get better tracking tools.

The next morning I printed off terrain maps of the area and two of us headed back to the landing site and pulled out the laptop. We were able to get a signal directly from the capsule and record its coordinates again. I was amazed that the batteries were still going strong. I downloaded the MotionX-GPS app. This app is amazing and perfect for guiding a chase team to an exact coordinate. This time we stuck to the low points and used dry creeks to reach the landing spot. We found the capsule after a 20 minute search in the vicinity of the known coordinates.

The capsule was stuck in a tree, but we were very lucky considering how tall most of the trees were. We threw up ropes with weights on the end to pull it down. We successfully broke it free of a large tree so that it was only stuck in a smaller one. We ended up cutting that tree down after many unsuccessful attempts using the rope technique.

The capsule was in great shape thanks to the trees catching it. However, the entire balloon was still attached to the parachute. The cutdown module didn’t separate it after the balloon burst. It was quickly obvious that the connection was broken at some point during the flight. A review of the data log showed that the software initiated cutdown at the correct point. I tested the cutdown module and it worked perfectly too. Therefore, the broken connection was definitely the problem. This was the only connection I didn’t hot glue into place.

Besides the cutdown module failure, the whole project was a success. I’ve heard horror stories of losing contact with the capsule and never finding it. I also didn’t expect to run into such rough terrain with so many farms around the predicted landing point, but we still managed to find it. This project challenged me on many levels, which kept it interesting from start to finish. This is by far the most rewarding project I have worked on. I also couldn’t have done it without my launch and chase crew: Scott Taylor, Nikki Weber and Jay Green. Thank you so much guys!

Visit my blog for even more info.
Stray Bytes - My personal electronics blog
KI9L
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SUFO-1 8/20/11 Pictures

Postby KI9L » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:58 am

Looking good! I love the soft cooler. It makes for a more durable payload I bet. Mine was all tattered after two flights.
Trackuino APRS tracker for the Arduino/Atmega328p
H>He Proud Member of the Hydrogen Club
Trackuino WEB HAB MKI - 85, 816ft - 68,593ft

Formerly (KJ6KUV)
HABrad
General Member
General Member

Re: SUFO-1 8/20/11 Pictures

Postby HABrad » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 pm

The great this about this cooler is that it's soft on the outside, but the inside is a hard plastic liner that is removable. So it makes for a great attachment point for the circuit boards, batteries, camera, antenna, etc. Yet it still has the insulating soft part.
Stray Bytes - My personal electronics blog
RonaldRof
General Member
General Member

Cheap Real hair Hairpieces With regard to Black Ladies

Postby RonaldRof » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Inexpensive real human hair hair pieces Wigs
pertaining to dark women that seem natural are not very easy to locate nowadays. Most women have been battling back with hair thinning that's caused on account of old age, cancer Wigs
as well as stress. Hair pieces are produced simply by distinct companies globally but only couple of search all-natural along with genuine.

You can use plenty of things to consider regarding dark-colored ladies to get the right as well as the Human Hair Extensions
greatest hairpiece to put on. If you are intending to obtain 1 on your own, you should determine 1st the reasons at the rear of Clip In Hair Extensions
the idea, no matter whether will it be for every day employ or is it just pertaining to Clip In Hair Extensions
style.

There are lots of curly hair hairpiece types that are available for you personally through websites. One of several best Human Hair Wigs
hairpiece kinds for you personally is certainly one which can be made from real human hair.

Return to “Launch Photos”