Hydrogen?

This is the location to ask questions and post up information pertaining to the safety of HAB launches
tstowe

Hydrogen?

Postby tstowe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:45 am

We have done five launches, all with helium.

What do we have to do differently if we want to use hydrogen?
W6WLW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Hydrogen?

Postby W6WLW » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:33 pm

spend lees money. Hydrogen is lees than half the price and you get more lift.
Will
W6WLW

Real Cowboys Use Hydrogen
SpaceCowboy

Postby SpaceCowboy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 am

I'm assuming you're referring to hydrogen's flammability. Well wikipedia seems to have it together as far as hydrogen safety. You can look it up there or just read the highlights I'm gonna post here.

Summary

Although hydrogen has many useful properties, some have serious safety implications:
Colourless and odourless (Who do they think they are, JRR Tolkien?)
Extremely reactive with oxygen and other oxidizers
Low ignition energy
High flame temperature
Invisible flame in daylight conditions
Negative Joule-Thomson coefficient; leaking gas warms and may spontaneously ignite
Small molecular size promotes leaks and diffusion
Very wide flammability limits in air mixtures
Can diffuse into or react with certain metals, embrittling them
The cryogenic liquid at 20K is even colder than frozen nitrogen, oxygen or argon
Does not support life (can asphyxiate)
On the other hand, hydrogen's considerable buoyancy and lack of toxicity other than as an asphyxiant work in its favor.

So on the one hand it's easy as heck to light it up in concentrations when mixed with oxygen, but so long as you're outdoors it isn't much of a problem as it'll travel at like 45 mph straight up and out of the atmosphere. I'd suggest forgoing the celebratory smoke until the balloon and hydrogen tank is far away from you though.

Also, good question. I learned like 20 new things finding the answer to that. :geek:
KI9L
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KI9L » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 am

While technically true that spontaneous ignition may occur. I have worked with the gas and tested it's volatility with one of my chemistry professors before trying to fill a 1200g ballon with it. In an open space with basic static discharge countermeasures it really is difficult to ignite. I really need to organise and post up my findings...

SpaceCowboy wrote:I'm assuming you're referring to hydrogen's flammability. Well wikipedia seems to have it together as far as hydrogen safety. You can look it up there or just read the highlights I'm gonna post here.

Summary

Although hydrogen has many useful properties, some have serious safety implications:
Colourless and odourless (Who do they think they are, JRR Tolkien?)
Extremely reactive with oxygen and other oxidizers
Low ignition energy
High flame temperature
Invisible flame in daylight conditions
Negative Joule-Thomson coefficient; leaking gas warms and may spontaneously ignite
Small molecular size promotes leaks and diffusion
Very wide flammability limits in air mixtures
Can diffuse into or react with certain metals, embrittling them
The cryogenic liquid at 20K is even colder than frozen nitrogen, oxygen or argon
Does not support life (can asphyxiate)
On the other hand, hydrogen's considerable buoyancy and lack of toxicity other than as an asphyxiant work in its favor.

So on the one hand it's easy as heck to light it up in concentrations when mixed with oxygen, but so long as you're outdoors it isn't much of a problem as it'll travel at like 45 mph straight up and out of the atmosphere. I'd suggest forgoing the celebratory smoke until the balloon and hydrogen tank is far away from you though.

Also, good question. I learned like 20 new things finding the answer to that. :geek:
Trackuino APRS tracker for the Arduino/Atmega328p
H>He Proud Member of the Hydrogen Club
Trackuino WEB HAB MKI - 85, 816ft - 68,593ft

Formerly (KJ6KUV)
M0UPU
General Member
General Member

Postby M0UPU » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:11 am

We only launch with H2 these days. It has some bad press due to a certain incident in 1937 however ignoring the very obvious cost benefits it has many advantages over Helium
for balloon use. As long as you take common sense precautions you will be fine. Don't vent H2 off to clear the lines, be very careful checking for leaks before launch.

There is a guide here : http://ukhas.org.uk/guides:hydrogen

And on the front page of http://arhab.org/ are a number of links to Hydrogen safety.
tapedMut
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Discounts! ThiEYE T5e WiFi 4K 30fps Sport Camera 12MP ( 117.99 $)

Postby tapedMut » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:32 pm

ThiEYE T5e WiFi 4K 30fps Sport Camera 12MP ( 117.99 $)
ThiEYE T5e WiFi 4K 30fps Sport Camera 12MP ...
Brand:ThiEYE;
Model:T5e;
Type:Sports Camera;
Type of Camera:4K;
Chipset Name:Ambarella;
Chipset:Ambarella A12LS75;
Sensor:CMOS;
Sensor size (inch):1/2.3;
Function:WiFi,Time Lapse,Waterproof;
Application:Extreme Sports,Underwater,Ski;
Max External Card Supported:SDHC 64G (not included);
Screen...

READ MORE
Hot 2017 Fashion Women Belts Luxury PU Leather Pin Buckle Belt Women Casual All-Match Embossed Popular Ladies Belt 110-115CM ( 9.78 $)
Gold Stars Pattern Vinyl Wall Art Decals Nursery Room Decoration Wall Stickers for Kids Rooms Home Decor ( 2.49 $)
Games play cs go silicone rubber diabetes bracelets for best friends csgo braclet red yellow white ( 0.99 $)
Onke 2017 winter shoes men running shoes outdoor women sports snow shoe waterproof sneakers for male warm fur zapatillas 692 ( 61.23 $)
Chic crochet flower embellished solid color long scarf for women ( 9.26 $)
Heart Cake Earrings ( 57.96 $)
Cute cartoon women ice cream cupcake shape mini shoulder bag metal chain mobile keys coin messenger mini bag ( 14.52 $)
Chic elastic waist pocket design floral print women's pants ( 14.35 $)
Arduino Compatible NRF905 Wireless Communication Transmission Module (Built - in SPI Interface) ( $4.39 )
2016 lovers skin sunscreen clothing men women quick fast dry hiking jackets windproof sun uv protection outdoor sport rain coats ( 13.99 $)
10Pcs Kanekalon Braiding Hair Purple Grey Synthetic Braiding Hair Extension 24Inch Ombre Kanekalon Braiding Hair Grey Hair ( 60.20 $)
LM393 Single Channel Signal Output Photosensitive Sensor Photo Resistor Module ( $3.23 )
2.5 Bi Xenon H1 Projector Headlights Lens for BMW E46 E36 Sedan Coupe ZKW H4 H7 Car Styling External Lights Lenses Retrofit Lamp ( 49.99 $)
Orico hpc eu plug 4 6 8 outlet surge protector eu power stirp with 5 x ( 39.98 $)
Ophir 3x dual action airbrush with air compressor spray gun for cake decoration makeup car model painting_ac090+004a+071+072 ( 110.48 $)

Return to “Regulations and Safety”